Thursday, July 1, 2010

A Little of This

Lately I feel as though I'm running out of horse related ideas to post about. I mean, I can only post so many times about my former horses before even I get bored. I am not saying that I have a very interesting blog, don't get me wrong, I know that even my husband refuses to read it. Which if I were to get started on that tangent, I'd start telling you how I read his boring pharmacology papers often enough. He also enjoys showing me the Powerpoint presentations he creates at work - oh the humanity. You. Have. No. Idea! The least he can do is ACT interested in horses! LOL, uh oh, I got myself started on this tangent!

Where am I going with this post? What am I trying to say? Oh, yes. I need some new fodder to ramble about. I need a HORSE to ramble about! Hopefully this will change in the near future. Recently I was offered a position at the company I used to work at (in Southfield, which is like an hour from where I live *YIKES*). What this position would mean is a pay increase of about $17,000.00 a year, but also a long-ass commute. Is it worth it? Can I make that commute? Well, that's what I've been asking myself the past few weeks. I've determined that, yes, I can do this. This extra money and great position will not only give me the extra money it will take to pay off my student loan debt, get a new car (which I'll be needing shortly AND hopefully a horse *yes, please*; but it will earn me some priceless experience that I can use for any future positions (you know, climbing the corporate ladder and all that jazz). Can you tell that every career choice I make is centered on when and if I'll be able to afford a horse? Never mind 401ks and medical!! LOL. I am not trying to jump to far ahead of myself here, but things are looking good ~ Think horse for me, please!

With that said, here is a picture of one of my former horses. DRUMROLL PLEASE -------> Shaker! I don't think I've posted either of these pictures yet, but I can most certainly be wrong. To my great excitement, I found both of these pictures tucked behind another show picture in an old frame, the other day. Of course, I immediately set about scanning them and uploading them to blogger for just this purpose - you're welcome!



Ahhh - the good old days of riding for the blues. Here we are after somehow miraculously duping the judges in a Novice Western Pleasure class at Michigan's Futurity Show. 1996 ~ I still have that mug too :) How do you like my 2nd hand MINT GREEN ultra suede show outfit? It had 4 different shirts, little patent leather matching bow ties and some hand made mint gloves (don't forget that mint hat). I loved that outfit, LOVED IT! It was custom made for the girl who owned it prior to me, and we bought it for a fraction of the price after she was done. After I finished with it, I think it went to a young girl who was getting started showing Arabians...I wonder if it's still minting it up somewhere?


This was one of my favorite blues! J absolutely refused to let me show Shaker in Hunt Seat. Against her protestations, I entered Shaker in a Jr. Exhibitor Hunt class at a small show, anyway. We won against maybe 5 other riders. I felt so vindicated! I never did show him hunt again after this; in retrospect, he would have made a pretty good little hunt horse...oh well. *Note* I am wearing only a hunt cap (not a certified helmet) in a Jr. Exhib. class. I didn't know it was against the rules. Also, my saddle is a $150.00 tack sale purchase and the hunt coat a $40.00 tack sale buy! (I still have the saddle and hunt coat).The bridle? A raw hide cheapy. Don't get me started on those $100.00 dress boots, oh the LOLs!

6 comments:

Karen said...

Hi! I have seen many Morgans who do wonderfully at dressage - especially the lower levels. Mine (T-Bone) was very very talented at the canter, but his trot had zero suspension. He had weak stifles which made the upper level work difficult for him. He was a good boy (never spooked or bucked), but he was tense many days and there was just no working or lunging out of it. I did love him though and he taught me a lot. When horse shopping, I would look at each horse as an individual. I would buy another Morgan (they are my favorite breed), but I would seriously evaluate each gait as far as a dressage prospect. I would do that for ANY breed of horse, tho. :-)

Lexa said...

Haha that's how a lot of our decisions go. I was only saving money for a truck that way I can buy my own trailer to haul my horses! Funny how they're behind pretty much everything we do.

On another note, I was looking up things on insulin resistance in horses and came across this: http://balancedequinenutrition.com/irarticle.html
It says that Morgans, Arabians, Peruvian Pasos, and Paso Finos tend to have insulin resistance because of genetics adapting to sparse vegetation. Just thought you'd find it interesting!

And thanks for the advice =] I always welcome it. I just have to decide that one thing to stick to with Brie and keep at it.

photogchic said...

Hoping a horse is in your near future...Is there any in the area you could lease or ride? I leased for about 5 years...it was really nice. The two horses I used taught me so much. Just a thought. I hate to see anyone that loves horses so much go without:-).

Kristen Eleni Shellenbarger said...

Fun pictures and wow, you were quite the show girl yourself in that mint! ;)
What will u be doing in Southfield...that's sooo close to me in Royal Oak! Funny...and I commute to Howell to see Laz so I know what the time loss of driving means. But seems like a great move for your career and goal to get......a horse!!!!

Paint Girl said...

Show outfits back then just crack me up! My first western show outfit was teal green! Teal hat, chaps and shirt! What were we thinking? I just love the western show clothes today!! They are so pretty and sparkly! And expensive!
Great pictures!! He is such a pretty horse!
Good luck with your decision on the new job!

Terry said...

Hi JJ, I love Morgans! They are a lovely combination of good looks and brains.

Your mint green showed off your horse's rich bay beautifully.