Friday, July 9, 2010

Did You Know?

**That 90% of today's American Saddlebred Horses carry Morgan blood? Read about that, here (http://www.morganhorse.com/).

**That Morgans were a foundation breed in developing the American Quarter Horse, Tennessee Walking Horse, American Standardbred and the American Saddlebred *see above*? (click here to read about it).


Morgan, Jubilee King was also registered as a Quarter Horse under the name "Yellow Jacket"

**A very popular horse weather vane was modeled after Black Hawk, an 1833 Morgan who was known to be the fastest trotting horse in his time, click here for his pedigree and to read more about him, here.



**The Morgan horse is the state animal for both Vermont and Massachusetts.

**The Modern Morgan horse is among the most versatile of horse breeds. The breed excels in all known disciplines, including: Parade, western pleasure, reining, hunter pleasure, over fences, sidesaddle, driving, FEI, Endurance, trail, eventing, Saddleseat; some are even gaited for those who prefer a smoother ride! See here for more versatility information!

**A popular brand Kohler (you know, the Bold Look of Kohler; the commercials!!??) Anyway, there is also a Kohler Morgan Horse farm; you put this one together....anyway, one very well known horse out of this stable is HVK Bold Look - check out this amazing farm and it's history, here!

**I know I've already posted about this guy, but a popular clinician Eitan Beth-Halachmy (I think he coined the term "Cowboy Dressage") rides his beautiful Morgans; how could you not want a Morgan after seeing this!?









**The University of Vermont with the UVM prefix is a Morgan horse farm (also a national historic site) that is dedicated to the preservation of the Morgan horse:



The paragraph below is taken from the website (http://www.uvm.edu/morgan/):

"The UVM Morgan Horse Farm is dedicated to the preservation and improvement of the Morgan Horse through breeding and selection. Designated as a National Historic Site, the farm is also home to significant Morgan history and a variety of educational programs. For over 50 years, the farm has provided educational experiences and training for students and visitors while perpetuating the Battell, Government, and UVM bloodlines. UVM Morgans are prized as superb pleasure horses for recreational use and as foundation broodstock."

**Morgans are found in a variety of colors. At one time, you'd be hard pressed to find a Morgan that wasn't Bay, Brown, Black or Chestnut. These days, there are some very nice Morgans in Palomino, Silver Dapple, Buckskin,Perlino, Creme, Pinto, Grey and Dun **etc**.



**Morgans go to the FEI - READ ALL ABOUT IT, HERE


Disclaimer: if I'm mistaken or if anyone has more interesting information to contribute, please do let me know :).

5 comments:

Rachel said...

wow! interesting tidbits there :) Eva will love it too!

Lexa said...

I loved those tidbits! I could see the connection between the Morgan and the Saddlebred. I definitely didn't know about Kohler though!

Jocelyn said...

I had no idea about Kohler!

My next panonie is def going to be a Morgan.
They rock endurance!

Terry said...

That was very informative. I liked the horse that was double-registered Morgan and Quarterhorse. Never heard of such a thing! Thanks!

Rising Rainbow said...

I had no idea about Kohler. That's pretty cool.

Intersting post.