Friday, July 23, 2010

Bor-ring!

Thank you for the birthday wishes everyone! Even though I spent my birthday sans horses, I still enjoyed myself. I spent the weekend camping up north with my parents and husband. Although we had torrential downpours on my actual birthday (the 18th), I was still able to soak up some sun on the other two days.

Even though I haven't had much time with horses this summer, I am hoping to start back up with my normal riding schedule this week. I spoke with J this morning, and she and I discussed the Fun show (which is put on by the MJMHA) and occurs the weekend of September 3rd & 4th. My mom decided that she'd like to bring her Quarter Horse, Lady, to the show too. It's a HUGE HUGE step for my mom, but I know she and Lady will have a blast. It's a FUN show, after all.

J asked me if I'd like to take one of her horses, it doesn't matter who, but they need Coggins and shoes, so I need to decide quick. I told her that if I wasn't too busy with my mom and Lady, I'd like to take Gypsy to the show again. Last year I had a ball in our hunt seat classes, and this year I think it would be fun to take the behemoth of a mare into some Western Pleasure classes. I just need to start working her regularly again!

I have to say that at times, I really do miss showing horses. I miss the camaraderie, the excitement, that feeling of connecting with your horse as you pass by the judge; best of all, the feeling of accomplishment after a great ride. There are so many fun things about it. I know I was just getting frustrated with my current situation (I've blabbed about that before). Showing someone else's horses is just not something I would like to do on a regular basis. There's too much pressure! With that said - if things go well with Gypsy this fall and winter (and I don't have a horse of my own), I can see myself getting sucked into showing that mare at smaller Michigan shows. The big difference between showing Gypsy instead of Bobby or Contro, though, is that J has no interest in selling Gypsy. Gyps is actually a pulled out of the pasture, semi-retired broodmare. I know that if the economy picks back up and the horse market is going strong, J will probably breed her again. That's her job, really, showing is just an after thought. I just decided on a whim, that I was going to start her under saddle and show her...hilarious, really! GO ME!!!



2 comments:

in2paints said...

Hey! I recognize those buildings! I spent many summer weekends up there, and a whole week during the fair. Fond memories of that place... :)

I think it would be so cool for you and your mom to show together! Can't wait to hear what you decide. :)

Happy belated birthday too! I am turning 30 in a few weeks and I do believe I'm going to cry... seems like just yesterday I was 17 and care free. Where does the time go?

Terry said...

Gypsy is beautiful!