Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Horses of the past

Red Julio, "Leo" - American Quarter Horse

I was 7 when my mom purchased Leo. He came to be the my first for many things. My first buck, my first canter alone, my first solo trail ride, my confidence builder, etc.

I wish I could remember more about Leo, he succumbed to a bad bout of colic when he and I were only 9. I remember it breaking my little heart.

Anyway, here's one of my favorite pictures of the two of us.


Doesn't he look gigantic? This was taken the day after Halloween. That year, I was Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz; see the tousled braids? I was such a rag-a-muffin, especially on horse riding days. Those were the days of hurling my self out of bed at the mere mention of a horse, throwing on any mismatched pair of socks that were most near my clutching fists, jumping into whatever pair of jeans and shirt were crumpled closest to my bed, and scrambling into the car to head to the barn...ahhhh, the memories!

3 comments:

Lexa said...

Wowww he does look ginormous! Very pretty though =] Super red!

in2paints said...

He does look enormous! Such a sweet, expressive face! Do you remember how tall he was?

Kristen Eleni Shellenbarger said...

omg what a fun photo! You look so super tiny and he looks so sweet. Fun photo..thx for sharing!