Bobby getting ready for a class
I arrived at the Medallion Show around noon on Sunday. What the Medallion show is is 2 different shows held back to back. Two different judges, but the same exact schedule each day. Back in my Jr. Exhibitor days, it was held at a more po-dunky fair grounds (Fowlerville) and one was in June the other in August (I think). Regardless, I've always liked this show...it's pretty low key, and there is a variety of horses to watch.
J had 6 horses in her clutch, so I was eager to watch them go. When I arrived I spotted a huge mound of ribbons, many of them blue - go TEAM!! LOL.
A walk trot rider - so cute!!
A winning Jr. Exhibitor with his handsome Morgan, Abe.
Bobby had done fairly well with his new rider. As a Jr. Exhibitor, she was able to expose him to Equitation as well as patterns. I guess he was a bit wobbly at first, but his rider got him to do it in the end. I ended up watching Bobby in 3 more classes, I think he took a first and two seconds....pretty darn good. His new rider looks wonderful on him. According to J, she is very methodical and won't allow for any funny business at all. That's JUST what Mr. Bobby needs too, I'm relieved. Time will tell if his bad habits are completely gone or not. He usually pulls his really naughty stuff at Michigan State's Pavilion. I think this young lady is an excellent little rider though, so I am not too worried. She would like to take him to Nationals this year (how cool, But J isn't so sure she wants him so far from home, which I can understand too. Do I think Bobby has what it takes to win at Nationals? No. But it would be an awesome experience nonetheless.
Bobby and his rider at the canter
At some point, I got wrangled into working the gates. It wasn't so much that I was asked, but that I just so happened to be watching the show from the gate, and everyone disappeared...so, what else can I do? I actually enjoyed it, as I was able to see many different classes. Some of the coolest classes to watch, are the Paso Fino horses. They have a completely different judge than the Saddlebred and Morgan horses, and the classes play out differently too. One thing is that the Pasos do not canter in their classes. They do a few different gaits, then go into the center. Once they're in the center of the ring, several are called back out to perform again. Once those horses go around a few times, the class is called. It's interesting! Paso Finos are actually quite small compared to Morgans and Saddlebreds. They almost look like mini Lusitanos or Andalusians - one in particular, a gorgeous dapple grey stallion took my breath away. He was GORGEOUS!!! Anyway, if you've never actually seen a Paso Fino, they are just so cool. Their little legs move so fast underneath them. I hear that they're VERY smooth too.
A bad shot of the Paso Fino horses. I loved that grey!
J did ask me a few times if I'd be showing anymore this summer. I said that no, I probably wouldn't. She asked me why, and I explained to her that the last show I took Bobby to, was so awful, that it took the wind right out of my sails. I do not want to show again until I have my own horse - period. I may take Gypsy to the Fun Show this fall, but that would be about it. I have to say that it's nice that Jenny wants me to show, I used to live for it, but not so much anymore. I just want to ride for fun and cool off a bit before diving back into the show scene. I also have some news that could change things quite a bit - this change involves a LOT more money coming my way, which could mean a show horse is in my immediate future! Stay tuned!!!
3 comments:
um, way to throw that kicker in the last line! I was fixin to tell you about the 1/2 paso that I used to own and how despite the fact that shes not gaited, she is capable of the FASTEST trot I have ever ridden... but now, I want to know if you got a new job, or huge inheritance, and when you will get a show horse. Will it be a dressage morgan? can you take us with you (you know via mucho blogging and pics) as you horse shop??? FUNNNN!
I used to show at Fowlerville back in the day! I remember loving it there for some reason. :)
Looks like you had a great time, even if they put you to work. It's always fun to watch some of the other breeds show in their respective classes. I try to make it to those all breed shows as often as I can.
I've definitely got my fingers crossed for you about the new horse!! HOW EXCITING! Please keep us posted!
Seriously nice cliff hanger:)
I don't think I've ever seen a Paso in person, but I like them and Peruvian Pasos exactly b/c they look like little baroque horses! Though I don't know the first thing about gaited horses, if I ever JUST wanted to do trail riding I might look at them...so cute!
Post a Comment