Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Genetics and the Mildreds of the World

Well slap me red and call me Sam - who knew you could genetically test an unknown horse to discover who they are (as long as said horse had been registered at some point)? Sheesh, you'd think I was born yesterday! I'm sure everyone knew that, but I'm a novice...I always knew who my horses were, and I've never had an issue like this.

Since obtaining Lady, my mom and I have been so curious to find out more about her. Though we contacted the woman who had her prior to us, she never called back. She seems to obviously want nothing more to do with us - in fact, when she trailered Lady to us, she kind of pulled up, had me back the horse out, and took off. She seemed like she couldn't get rid of Lady fast enough - strange. She may just have been busy though, I guess I'll never know.

Regardless, since we couldn't contact Lady's former owner, I decided to see if the AQHA could assist me. Feeling like a total buffoon, I called them up. I find it hard to find the right wording for questions sometimes, especially because it seems that customer service these days is shotty at best. Half the time, I feel like I'm annoying the person I'm speaking to and I feel rushed and therefore, flustered....I don't understand it, aren't they being paid to assist???Some of these customer service people are down right rude, I'd have have been fired! Ugh, don't get me started! Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, I was calling the AQHA.

....rinnnng.....rinnnng....


"Thank yew fer callin' the Amerrricin Quarrterr Horse Asssociatttttion. How may aa dareect yer call?" an adorable Southern Accented voice sounded...is that Texan? CUTE, where can I get one?


"Yes, I suppose I need to speak with Registration," I said, trying not to sound too clueless.


"One momint thayen," she said. CLICK, went the transfer.


I thought, well, this can't be too bad. I just love hearing that southern drawl. I'm going to say it was a Texan southern drawl, because, well, it sounded more Texan and I like Texas.

"HELLO, this is Mildred." a cranky voice scratched. No sweet southern accent this time. Darn it!

"Yes, hello. He he..ermm...well, I was hoping you could help me. My mom and I recently obtained an abandoned horse. She is a registered QH, we just don't know her parentage nor do we know who she is. Is it possible to send in a sample and have it genetically tested to find out who she is?"

"No. We don't do that. You can contact the University of California Davis, they do our genetic testing. Here is there number - ### ### ####."

"Thank you so much for your help, have a great day!"


"BYE" SLAMMMMM.



I have to say, Miss Mildred put me right off, what a crab apple! And, her name is Mildred, how befitting! Not that Mildred is a bad name, it's not, but well, she just sounded like a Mildred... Ah well, what can I do other than blog about it?

So anyway, long story short I contacted the UC Davis (who were very friendly and so helpful) and to my delight, discovered that we can send in 20-30 of Lady's hair samples (roots attached of course) and for $40.00, and as long as she truly is registered, we can find out just who she really is. I love science! Anyway, my mom and I are just giddy with excitement. I think she was registered, but how can we really know until we have her hairs tested. Stay tuned!!!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

you should write a novel with your phonetic writing (all Mark Twain style)-- thats if you could focus that long! You remind me so much of my bff.

anyway. besides cracking me up, that is super exciting. Can't wait to hear the results of the mystery...its like CSI.

Paint Girl said...

Ha Ha! Loved your phone conversation!
That is great that you will have Lady DNA tested.
It always amazes me how rude people can be. I was in the customer service business for 18 years and I would never or could never be rude like that!

in2paints said...

LOL! You're too funny!!

But that is awesome! I don't think I would ever have thought of doing that... I'm so excited for you!

This kind of stuff is really interesting to me. My old boy isn't registered but is supposedly purebred QH. No one bothered to register him for whatever reason. I would give my left arm to find out who his sire and dam are. He was never registered though, so sadly there's no hope for me. :(

I can't wait to find out the results of your test!