Thursday, May 27, 2010

Break Arm Speeds and Four Beating

I've only camped with horses one time (how's that for random?). It was for my 11th birthday, so my mom decided that it would be quite the treat to take a plethora of kids, aged 7-11, two horses, and one other adult to truck in the kids via a lowly Chrysler Station Wagon, camping with the horses.

The plan was to drive to the barn, just mom and I, saddle up Flash our QH and Bridget his Appy pasture mate, and ride them the 5 miles to the local horseman's campground (Chilson). We'd done that ride many times before, so it was easy and very much fun.


Flashy Bit O' Luck - circa 1988, w/ me - on one of our long trail rides.

We arrived, and found ourselves a nice, shaded camp area. We tied the horses, thank goodness they were fine as we'd never really tied them to a line before, and proceeded to set up camp. The kids showed up in rapid succession and the festivities began. I think the festivities included running around, riding the horses around the campground, eating candy and cowering in the car as a horrendous thunderstorm stampeded through. The horses were great....we slept, we woke up, and decided to ride. My friend Jamie on Bridget, I on Flash. Being that I was 11, things like courtesy didn't occur to me until it was too late. I decided to take off at a fast canter up a shaded dirt hill on one of the winding campground roads. Never mind that poor Jamie wasn't much of a rider. Bridget, seeing Flash gallivanting ahead of her, decided in her Hackamore, that it was fine time for a jolly gallop and off she took, her long legs passing short Flash in only three quick bursts. Off went Jamie in 4, to the tune of a broken arm. Oooohhfff.

I don't remember what really happened after that. I don't remember if Bridget was caught or if she took off for home. That's just where the memory stops; weird, huh? My poor mom, I can't imagine how she must have felt calling poor Jamie's parents to tell them what had happened...her heart must have just stopped. Luckily, that was the worst of it, as we all know it could have been far far worse. Those were the days of my helmetless, reckless riding, lessonless childhood. The 80's, I tell ya! I didn't start wearing a certified helmet until I began riding as an amateur, actually. Anyway, that is my boring tale to tell today - is there a moral? I guess it would be, think about your riding partner before taking off at break "arm" neck speeds!

Also, as a side note and in the sake of Randomness Thursdays, what do you think about this <----click. I found that whole series of posts very interesting and it got me to thinking. Do you think that breeds follow other breeds as far as "fads" go. I always assumed that 4 beating at the canter was a strictly stock horse issue - does it happen with Arabs in the show ring? Apparently it's becoming an issue with Morgans - - - EWW!!!

Anyway, that's that I suppose :)

1 comment:

in2paints said...

I'm always the one on the horse that freaks out when another horse takes of running. Luckily I've never fallen off, but it is never a fun experience!

I can't believe that Morgans have been seen doing a 4 beat canter... I've never seen anything other than stock breeds do that stuff.

I was at a show last year that was a multiple breed show and all the saddle type horses were definitely not doing a 4 beat canter. They were booking around the arena. It's always so fun to watch those classes! :)

The 4 beat canter isn't a fad I would expect to be copied, especially by a breed that isn't supposed to be traveling slow. I think some fads blend from breed type to breed type, but never would I have guessed that.

I hope it isn't really a trend... the stock types breeds are trying to get rid of it.