
Since the weather has been iffy lately, my barn time has been comprised of: de-icing buckets, cleaning stalls, turning out horses, monitoring for lameness in one naughty horse, and other random non-riding chores, I thought I'd post about ---stuff! Since I currently do not own my own horse per-se, I've been collecting horse related items for some time now. Though I do use my horse stuff, quite a bit, I figure that once I actually own a horse and am putting all of my money into he/she, I'll have little money leftover for nice tack, show clothes, etc.
To start, I have been wanting some nice Field Boots for some time now. I have owned several pairs of under $150.00 dress boots that did me fine as a Jr. rider in the show ring, but now that I'm a wee bit older and a wee bit heavier, I thought it was fine time to take the plunge. For Christmas I got a pair of Ariat Heritage II field boots - the saddest part of all is that I ordered the size 8 - regular height, medium calf. When I tried them on, my calves BAREEEELY fit. I had to send them back and get the full calf!!! I'm 5'4 and a half :) and weigh 123 lbs......interesting....it must just be my incredibly buff and muscular physique, right?
Last year for my birthday, I decided to really go out on a limb and make a purchase that I had been only dreaming of for, like, ever! I don't know if anyone here knows who Les Vogt is, heck, all I know is he makes some unbelievably gorgeous western show bits. Anyway, I did something really bizarre and plunked down a PRETTY penny for a gorgeous, fancy, sparkly, lovely western German silver show bit. I have used it once on Bobby - it's got a low port, however the shanks are quite long and are curved just so that it really should only be used on an experienced horse with a very experienced rider. I make little to no contact with that horse with this puppy in his mouth - it's really just for looks.
Next on my list are the saddles: I've never had a new show saddle, but it doesn't bother me. In fact, there are so many amazing used show saddles out there, they look awesome, and are sold for a fraction of the price of the new ones. My current saddle is just okay - it's a Circle Y Equitation Saddle that is circa 1995. I also have a Circle Y show bridle that I got for my birthday a few years ago, too.
This isn't my saddle, I own the exact saddle sans the bridle and breast collar.
My hunt saddle is an even older Campbell (all purpose) that my mom bought from a tack sale when I was about 14 years old. When it was purchased it had that lighter brown color on the knee rolls as well as underneath the seat. It also had lighter colored piping along the seat. I have since dyed the entire thing to a sensible dark brown! It's a comfortable enough saddle, and the leather is still soft and supple. It was purchased for $150.00 and is still going strong, so all in all, a very good buy!


In the Fall of 2009, I searched E-Bay for weeks until I finally bit the bullet and bid (and won) a brand new Courbette - black, weymouth, lightly padded HORSE sized bridle for $70.00 (retails for over $300.00). Never mind that most Morgan Horses are shown in a dark brown bridle in a Cob size!
So, you'd think that my searches would be over for now, but nooooo - you see, for years I've owned a pair of Miller's Warm Toes winter riding boots. I love them, truly I do! Unfortunately though, last Sunday a cold bite of ice and snow snuck into my right heel as I trudged out into the pasture to chase some reluctant horses up to the barn. I felt a sense of pure dread as I lifted my foot up to investigate, and sure enough, the sole *or soul :(* was lifting up from the actual boot itself. My poor old boots may have finally met their demise. So of course, now I'm in the market for a pair of winter riding boots. Oh how I wish Millers still were around!
I don't really know why I've been so eager to spend my money on horse and riding stuff. I haven't owned my own horse for 10 years now. Never the less, I am the proud owner of the above mentioned stuff plus much more that's not worth mentioning (saddle pads, cinches, girths, show clothing (in saddle seat, western and hunter fashions), spurs, assortments of bits, reins, bridles, blankets, sheets, coolers, brushes, lotions, sprays, shampoos, conditioners, halters, leads, surcingles, wraps, crops, lunge lines, side reins, martingales, picks, ointments, etc.). Oh my gosh, I'm a Horse Hoarder sans a horse - I've really got a problem!!!! Really though, I know that when that special horse comes along, it will have all been worth it. Besides my husband is already very accustomed to my habitual horse spending. He might think I'm a little crazy now, but he'll see the methods to my madness once we have a horse - or 30 ;)
I'd love to see your tack assortment too. Are you a hoarder of horse stuff? I'm pretty sure I'm not completely alone on this one.






2 comments:
What horse person is not a Hoarder of Horse things??? I noticed you became a follower.. Thank you and I am following you now.. I love to meet others who have or love Morgans! They are a very special breed of horse are they not? I hope you will stop by soon and I will be sure to stop by here!
That bridle is gorgeous! I love the stuff too, but have had to quit buying it since I've run out of storage space. Dress and field boots are designed with stick calves in mind.
Post a Comment