Friday, January 22, 2010

Blast From the Past


Shaker and I in 1996 or 1997 (can't quite remember)

When I first started blogging, I really didn't think I'd keep up with it. I'm just not that exciting of a writer, and I have a tendency to spend a lot of time typing something, and then deleting it instead of posting it for fear of sounding like a total turd. So, at first I wasn't exactly sure where to go with blogging. I started off by posting some stories of my past with horses. I posted about several horses I had ridden and owned, and more specifically, I posted on several occasions about one horse in particular, Shaker. Really, it was just mindless mushiness about a horse I once owned and sometimes really miss, even now. I have 5 followers, so I'm very happy with blogging. It's fun, and of course receiving comments is always wonderful.

This morning I logged into my e-mail and saw that I had a comment from a reader. I clicked on it and about choked on my coffee. The comment was from none other than the young lady who purchased Shaker (that former horse of mine) from us, you know, way back when I was 17 or 18?! E, the young lady, wrote about how astonished she was to come across my posting (that I had written in June of '09 (titled Turkey and a Dream Horse). She still owns Shaker, and it seems based on her comment, that he is very much loved!

I just feel so thrilled - it's not like I sit around and constantly think about my old horse, but occasionally I come across a picture of him or an old ribbon or something, and the memories come flooding back. According to E, she randomly did a google search of her horses' name, and lo and behold, this blog popped up! I do feel slightly silly as I've mentioned Shaker's name on several blogs (Above level being one of them). I must look like a total weirdo for bringing him up so often, but I really was desperate to know of what came of him. Was he still alive? How were his last years if he wasn't? He was just very special to me, and you know, it just meant alot to hear that he is indeed, alive and kickin' and very much loved by his current owner of 12 years. So, if nothing else, blogging has helped close a wonderful chapter of my life, Mr. Shaker is turning 28 this year ~ he truly is a special horse! Unfortunately I wasn't able to e-mail E back as her e-mail was absent from the comment she left. I responded to her comment with another comment, but who knows if she'll ever see it. I guess time will tell :).

5 comments:

Pony Girl said...

That is SO amazing! You don't know how I would love to know how horses I once owned are doing. Actually, after nearly 25 years, I think only my AQHA mare would still be alive, at age 20. I am sure she will contact you, hopefully you guys can email and she can send you some current pictures or something. Wouldn't you love to go see him again? What a happy ending! He's a really cute horse!

Pony Girl said...

p.s. I've been back-reading your blog a bit and catching up on your childhood with horses. Sounds SO much like mine! ;) I also get your issues with student loans....oh nelly, don't even talk to me about student loans right now. I have a huge new payment that is going to kill me, I'm lucky I don't have to sell my horse to pay for it, but nearly! Sometimes I feel like I will never get them paid off. I mean, I'm a teacher, how do they expect me to live and pay these things back on my salary? ;)

Flying Lily said...

How wonderful! I bet she will check back and see your comment response. What a gorgeous photo, drenched with sunlight and happiness.

JJ said...

Thank you so much for your sweet comments! Unfortunately, I haven't heard anything from E yet - I'll keep you posted though. :)

Amber said...

That is so cool! It is fun to know where your horse went. My first horse who is now turning 28 in April, when we first bought her we actually found out who had owned her before and went and talked to them and leaned a lot of her history. Like that she had 7 babies and was used as a 4-H horse ect.