Friday, January 7, 2011

Driving and Horses

Lately, it seems I spend a good amount of my time driving. I think on average, I'm in my car 2.5 - 3 hours a day. During the time spent in my car, I am either listening to my Satellite radio stations ( I admit that I like Howard Stern and Cosmo best), jamming to music, or just plain getting lost in thought. Often times I think about horses and the role they've played in my life.

Today, as I slowly crept down a frozen highway in my little SUV, it suddenly hit me. It started as a slow burning deep down inside and built to an inferno in my chest. This feeling isn't easily suppressed once it creeps in. It's that desperate and sad feeling I imagine everyone gets when they just can't seem to get what they want most. Gosh darn it!!! I must have a horse, now!!!

Brian, my husband, has played a big role in why I don't actually have a horse right now. Please don't misunderstand though. He has been a wonderful pillar of support for me.

As a very impulsive person, I could very easily get myself into financial trouble, and have, a time or two really wracked up my credit card bills. I am an *act now, worry about it later* type of gal...I hate admitting that, but it's true. Brian has helped me to really think about the future, and has just been so incredibly supportive of my goals to finish school (which I did last year), pay off all of my credit debt and to get my student loan payments on track...I owe a heck of a lot to that guy! He wants me to have a horse, but only when we can afford it without sacrificing our financial futures too terribly much...something I'd do in a heart beat ;).

So - as those thoughts were flowing into my body, mind and soul - it's true - it's a whole body experience, I had to work hard to once again suppress them. Now is not the time, not yet. But, soon. Soon. I hope this will be the year! In the meantime, there's always J and her collection of fuzzy, fat and funny Morgans!

On another note, on a blog that I just finished reading and must say, absolutely love, MUGWUMP, readers are able to submit their horse themed stories. Many of the stories are about the submitters first real memory of a horse.

I've been thinking about this, and I can't really remember my own first experience with horses. All I know is that horses have always just kind of been in my radar. Horses whose pastures bordered country roads, my little kid eyes peering up and out of car windows at them as we drove on by, staring and craning to watch until the horses were mere specks in the distance. Sitting bareback on the sleek red coat of my mom's mare, Mariah. My toddler legs in the splits position, as I gleefully grasped the whispy red mane in my tiny little hands.




















 I remember this show. I was 4 years old and clueless, the pony, Lady, was a saint and allowed me to lead her wherever I chose. I think this judge (picture above), in his early 80's polyester pants, was slightly amused or perhaps, secretly annoyed at my very young misgivings...I had to be coached and assisted through this entire show, but I had a blast. I'm so lucky that my mom is a horse nut too, she's had me near them, on them and by them since the day that I was born. Do you think that this...affliction..... is genetic?

3 comments:

Kristen Eleni Shellenbarger said...

aw so cute!
I agree w/ Hubbie..it's best to own a horse when u can afford to do what you want for him/her.
But wait...horses drain all money so that doesn't work, lol!
;)
When u do it, the time will be right and the right horse will dictate that!

Terry said...

Very sweet photo!!! Love it!!!
I don't know how you do so much time in the car. I have to drive to Denver once a week, and I hate it. It's an hour and a half each way. I listen to books on CDs I get from the library - it's the only way I can get through the drive. They really help.

Mala said...

It's a disease! And yes, made worse by genetics! Both sides of my family had horse farms next door to each other. But SOMEHOW my own daughter has little interest. Sometimes life is no fair!
I LOVE that picture of you! That hate is bigger than you!

Anyway, your day WILL come and that perfect Morgan will find you just at the right moment in your life.