Monday, April 12, 2010

A Lesson a Day

I learned a valuable lesson this weekend. Do NOT talk about "western pleasure" outfits to people (especially men) who have no idea that Western Pleasure is something you do at a horse show and not in a bedroom.

To set up this story, B (my other half) and I decided to hang out with some of his coworkers on Saturday night. This included a BBQ and then hitting the bars afterward. Among the people at the BBQ were 2 other ladies and 4 guys...this is relevant. So, one of the girls in the group, I came to discover, is just about to graduate from Veterinary School (go MSU) as an Equine Vet. Imagine the joy I felt upon realizing I had another live person to discuss horses with! I was also somewhat tipsy - Whooo boy! I was definitely giddy for the opportunity to talk "shop" and so as the whole group of us gathered around to eat, I began to discuss the proper attire for the Country Style bar we were planning on going to (I've never been to a Western style bar before).

Me: "Ha haaaaa haa haaa (excessive hand gestures) - bla bla blaaaaa - bla bla horse bla bla bla, ramble ramble ramble - I could wear my western pleasure outfit to the bar." (record scratching sound as the room becomes silent).

EVERY GUY IN THE ROOM(except B who knows what I'm talking about): "WHA? Whoaaaaaaaa HA HA HA HA - what does your western pleasure outfit look like? (high fiving B).

CLUELESS ME: "Ohhh, gosh, I have the whole gamut. I've got the big silver belt buckle, black ultra suede chaps, a rhinestone shirt and a cowboy hat..."

EVERY GUY IN THE ROOM: "HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA CHAPS, Like Assless Chaps? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA, that's too much information; TMI, TMI..."

STILL CLUELESS ME: "Well, I guess they're assless. Yep, ha ha, I guess it's a pretty ridiculous outfit to wear to the bar. Ha ha, I just thought it would be hilarious. But yep, it's my show outfit. Although I really should get a new one. They're kind of expensive though....yammer yammer yammer, bla bla bla, ramble ramble ramble "- - -crickets chirping.

THE SOON TO BE VET: "Here, this is western pleasure, you idiots!" She holds a picture pulled up on her computer of a nice Saddlebred and his rider in a western pleasure class at a HORSE SHOW up for all to see.

THE NOW AWARE ME: "OHHHHHHHHH, OH NO! You thought I was talking about something else...." DOT DOT DOT.

The rest of the evening I found myself laughing and cringing about that incident. It never occurred to me that Western Pleasure or any other kind of pleasure class at a horse show would sound different to someone who didn't know horses, those PERVERTS!!!



DURRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

5 comments:

Rachel said...

cracked me up! haha.

Jocelyn said...

that was hilarious!
assless chaps!!!!!

Good one Jenny

Tammy in TX said...

Your story telling is very good! LOL

Pony Girl said...

Hee hee! So what DID you wear?? Hope you had fun!

photogchic said...

I would have rambled on the same way...never would have occurred to me either! But I guarantee now...ever time I hear Western Pleasure...I may giggle a bit.