Thursday, March 24, 2011

Officially Vindictive

Today at work I felt an instant and very immediate desire to eat. I felt so hungry that my plans for a nice healthy salad and small bowl of soup for lunch were thrown out the window in favor of a bambino sized pizza from Papa Romanos. I quickly dialed the phone number of, according to the website, the closest Papa Romanos in my area. A man answered the phone and took my order. After taking my order, he asked for my address so that the pizza could be delivered. Unfortunately, the man determined that I needed to call a different branch as the one he was at did not deliver to my location.

"Grrr..."my stomach rumbled as this news registered.

Polite as always, I said to the man on the phone. "Okay, thank you." To which he replied "SLAM!"  

He.hung.up.on.me. (the nerve) with nary a "you're welcome," or "have a good day."

















Instead of dismissing this rude behavior, as any normal well adjusted girl would do, I did the opposite.

Chuckling to myself with a growing need for revenge, I quickly pressed the redial button on my phone.

"Thank you for calling Papa Romanos, how can I help you?" he greeted.

"SLAM", I replied as I slammed the phone down hard, just as he had done moments before to me.

I can tell you that the satisfaction I felt set me to new heights. This is going to be a grand day after all I thought.

Begin Rant:

Here's the thing. I know I overreacted. Afterall, the guy could have just been very busy, BUT....I have worked plenty of customer service jobs. In fact, I work in property management and I currently deal with my fair share of disgruntled customers. I am 98% of the time professional, polite and accommodating. I would be fired for treating people rudely and I need my job. Not only that, but it's common courtesy and what about the golden rule? That matters to me.

The truth is that customer service jobs aren't easy! People can be just plain hard to deal with. Sometimes people complain about the most ridiculous things, and many are unreasonable. . I can totally understand why some workers have a bit of an attitude on occasion with particularly difficult/nasty customers. I don't understand it when customers who are polite and easy to deal with (ahem, moi) get the "you're bothering me, what do you want?" attitude. I would absolutely be fired if I spoke to customers the way that I'm spoken to (or hung up on) by intolerant "workers"....what gives?

End rant.

8 comments:

Rising Rainbow said...

Don't ask me. I see the same things. you wonder how those people stay in business.

Paint Girl said...

I totally hear you. I also have worked customer service, and management at that. There are so many rude people out there and being a manager, I had to be nice and smile. The highlight of my day was when a totally rude customer would be totally screaming at me about something they weren't happy about and I told them what I could do for them and they didn't like it and they would keep screaming and as they were leaving I would say in the most happy, cheerful voice "Have a wonderful day" with a big smile on my face. This would always make them more angry because their rudeness didn't get to me. I loved doing that!
At the beginning of my management days, it used to bother me when customers would be rude and obnoxious about something. I took it personal. I had to learn that it wasn't personal and that the person was either having a bad day or was always rude. Gotta love customer service!

Sarah said...

I just love your Stephanie Conner picture:) Also good for you! I totally agree-I'm extra nice to people that are actually pleasant, or at least not totally pissy...my standards are low! I don't get it either.

Horses Are Our Lives said...

I think people just get so frustrated they don't realize how rude they are, and obviously, they can't rationalize anything during these times. I try not to let their frustrations get to me, but sometimes I just want to be rude back. Why does negative people rub off on us when positive stuff should! People!

Patches said...

Ahahaha! I LOVE it! That would feel SO GOOD! I have done my fair share of customer service crap too and it's always so frustrating when people who are supposed to be nice and help you are rude. I always try my very hardest to be polite to people helping me, even though I'm the customer! Totally gets under my skin when the people that are getting paid to be nice aren't.

Ms Martyr said...

My husband has delivered pizzas on occasion. If an order came into their store that could be better handled at another, they would forward said order to the other store. No biggie. I can't remember if you said this was Papa John's or not, but they are notorious for bad customer service here.

Ms Martyr said...

Never mind, I see it was Papa Romanos. Not familiar with them at all.

in2paints said...

Sometimes the rolls are reversed too, like Paint Girl said! I'm in IT, so by the time the customer calls me, he is already IRATE because he's tried everything and it didn't work and he has to have this working NOW! I very much enjoy being as sweet as pie to them because I feel like it just makes them even angrier.

Don't call me with an attitude, buddy. I can make or break your day!

I totally approve of your overreaction! :)