Friday, March 18, 2011

This and That

Today I'm going to J's after work. I am so thrilled about the time change (more day light) that it's not even funny. It allows me the opportunity to spend some of my evenings at the barn to unwind a little after work. I've been an awful couch potato this winter!

I'm not sure if I'm going to ride, or if I'll just start clipping the shaggy beasts to get them more presentable for the warmer months ahead. Casper will need to be turned out ~ ugh, it truly bothers me that I'm the only one who turns that horse outside. He'll literally sit and rot in his stall, only getting a chance to stretch his legs when he's moved across the hall to another stall while his is being cleaned. It's incredibly unfair and it really angers me. Sadly, I wonder if this is more common than not for stallion owners.

I shouldn't admit this, but I am because it's really bugging me. I had skipped a few weeks from the barn this winter. In all, I hadn't been to the barn in about a month at one point. I had asked J to make sure she turns Casper out (he's HER horse), hoping that she would. When I finally got back to the barn, a few weeks ago, I discovered that Casper hadn't been out in a month. A MONTH! Needless to say getting him turned out was fun! He attempted to rip away from me 3 times and I so don't blame him. That poor horse was so excited to get outside, he could BARELY contain himself.  Ugh, so now I'm going to try and get out there once/twice a week just to turn out a stallion that I DON'T OWN. Casper is a very good boy. He is willing, listens and responds well. He would be so easy to handle and train to saddle if he had the opportunity to stretch his legs more often...isn't that the general rule for all horses? I don't know what else to do about that situation.


















Casper as a youngster

Okay, sorry about all that venting. I hate to speak unfairly about anyone ~ I understand that J just wants to make sure that Casper is safe. As a Stallion he will and does run the fence line when he can see other horses outdoors. J wants to keep him and her other horses (who are almost always outside) safe. She doesn't want him running around outside without someone present in the barn. Because she works 2 jobs, it's hard for her. Still, the afternoons and evenings, when the other horses are indoors are perfect for the Stallion to be outside. It just makes me sad!

In other news, Bobby hasn't been ridden in forever. I've mentioned before that he and I go way back! It's a long LONG story, but he was originally brought to J's for me way back in 2004 as a 7 year old. I paid for him to be trailered up from Florida and paid $2,500.00 as a partial payment from his $7,500.00 price tag. Something occurred that I still haven't fully forgiven a certain person for that kind of stopped that purchase in it's tracks. Again, it's a long sordid story that doesn't need to be spoken of here, but it's pretty scandalous...perhaps one day I'll get into it. I still own a portion of the horse, as far as I'm concerned, but of course until he's sold, I won't be getting that money back.


















Hmmm...well, I suppose I've rambled incessantly long enough. I think I got some stuff off my chest too! Sorry if I came across as a Debbie Downer, but it 'tis what it 'tis!

Happy Friday everyone, I'll be sure to report back about my experience at the barn!!

8 comments:

Karen said...

Poor Casper - good for you for turning him out. I bet if he got into a routine, he will be less likely to run the fence. Back when I was working on the Morgan breeding farm, we had one stallion who couldn't be turned out once breeding season started (he would run through the fence, booger). So I tried my best to give him time on the lunge line each day to play and graze. At least he got out somehow.

Ms Martyr said...

I've been doing a lot of reflecting on horses and the unnatural conditions we humans force them to live in. Neither of the stables I've ridden at have any kind of pasture for the horses to graze in. The horses live in stalls with turnouts so the majority of their exercise is while being ridden or lunged. I wonder if this affects their mental soundness or if they are content, never having known any other life.

Terry said...

Poor Casper! My heart goes out to him and all horses in similar circumstances.

Bobby is absolutely gorgeous!

Lexa said...

Aw =[ Poor Casper. I hate that so much! It's one of the thing that bothers me the most about some people in my show circuit, that they won't turn out their horses because they're scared they'll get hurt! Is it really worth it to turn the horse's brain to mush and then have habits like cribbing and pacing to deal with! Not to mention horrible behavior in the saddle! Good for you for turning out a horse that isn't even yours, just for the love of animals.

Mala said...

Poor Casper. A horses body and all it's system is designed to be moving all the time. Digestion relies on the horse walking around to work effeciently. Same with the circulatory system and the endocrine system. The lymphatic system does not have a pump (like the circulatory system) therefore it relies on motion and muscle contraction to direct the waste material from the cells to elimination. It is UNHEALTHY for a horse to stay static.
Thank you for at least getting that poor boy outside. Does the owner breed him? I'd say geld him and let him be a horse!

Sarah said...

Seems like common sense would tell people that a stud would be easier to handle if he got out and exercised a little? I've never worked with a stud at all, but it makes perfect sense to me!
As to the purchase deal...isn't it more pleasant working with animals than people? They never cheat you, and if they do something you don't like or dissapprove of, its always forgivable and doesn't cause emotional stress. Yep, I think animals make much better companions than people. Its a sad world we live in.

Rising Rainbow said...

Casper is lucky to have you to turn him out. Many wouldn't consider handling someone else's stallion. Just the word "stallion" can make some people's brain turn to mush.

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience over a horse. That always sucks. Maybe you'll feel comfortable enough to post about it sometimes. It's amazing the people it can help. I've been surprised at the emails I've gotten from people helped with the current situation I've been posting.

D'Nae said...

My mare has been relegated to her stall for three months now with only 20 minutes of hand walking/3 times a week and it's driving us both crazy!! Her attitude has definitely soured and I can't blame her a bit. I cannot wait until she is able to be a normal horse again.
I feel for Casper, and you.