Monday, March 21, 2011

Broken Fence

Last Friday I headed out of work and went directly to J's barn. As I was pulling up I saw J leading Casper out of his stall to the back paddock, YAY!!!

With Casper outdoors, I turned my attention to other matters. Before getting down to business though, J mentioned that some of the mares were still outside. That's a problem because J's hotwire is not currently hot and Casper + mares the next pasture over = imminent disaster. It just makes me very uncomfortable. The barnyard connects all of the pastures and the mares would need to enter into the barnyard to be brought into the actual barn. That would allow Casper and the ladies to get nose to nose.

I decided that while J was bringing in the mares, I would stand guard at Casper's pasture gate so that he didn't act the fool. I had a small whip that I menacingly waved at him any time he got too worked up, and that did the trick of keeping him at bay. He was not a happy camper though, and bellowed his mournful song to the nonchalant mares as they all rip roared into the barnyard to be let in. Her hot wire NEEDS TO BE REPAIRED! Maybe I can figure it out this summer, I've never put it up before but it seems easy enough. It is, right?

Stupidly, I decided to leave my post for just one moment so that  I could lock the mares into the barnyard. It makes it easier to catch them since they won't be able to wander back into their vast pasture. As I was pushing the gate closed I heard a THUNK behind me and then a roar that resembled a T Rex. I let go of the gate, whipped around and saw that Casper had knocked a portion of the fence down. Thankfully he didn't go through the fence and was spooked back by the clunking and thunking of the boards as they fell to the ground in a heap all in tact, thank God! I rushed over with my whip and hoisted the top board up as a barrier. There I stood until all the mares were in and J was able to come out with hammer and nail to repair the damage.

This is exactly why I don't turn Casper out to pasture when there are Mares out. I wouldn't have a problem if there were hotwire, but since there's not, it's good to be extra cautious! J came pretty close to having a..... well, a Spring Fling of sorts right there in her own front yard, and Casper would have been one HAPPY young stud muffin, or not as I'm not sure if any of the mares were in season and they can be some bad mamajammas.

With that chaos out of the way, I went back into the barn and gave Contro a much needed makeover. I clipped his bridle path, fetlocks and muzzle, rebraided his way too long tail and socked it up, then I untangled his mane and ran a shedding blade over him. He seemed to appreciate the attention, but was happy to be set free into his hay filled stall.














Contro and I - don't laugh at my Saddle Seat abilities!




That is basically it, but I am eager to get back out there to clip up some of the other winter ragged horses at the barn. I am also dying to climb up on Contro, he's always so much fun to ride!

5 comments:

Paint Girl said...

Electric fencing isn't that difficult! You should be able to do it all on your own! :)
Contro is beautiful!!

Lexa said...

Wow that sounds so scary! I would've been freaked if that happened to me! I like electric fencing better, it just looks cleaner and there's no wood for the horses to chew or crib on if they get bored. Hope y'all get it fixed soon!

Terry said...

I'm so glad it all ended OK - could have been bad.
Conto is beautiful, and you look great on him. Are you petite, or is he a big guy?

in2paints said...

Contro is a beautiful boy! Wow!

Electric fencing can be challenging sometimes because you have to make sure it has a good ground and there aren't any areas where it's being shorted out. In theory, though, it's pretty simple. :)

Rising Rainbow said...

We need to redo our electric fencing here too. It keeps the horses from leaning over our wire fences looking for goodies on the other side.

I fell much more comfortable with stallions outside when the electric fence is doing it's job. It's good that Casper is a good boy, you could have had a real mess. It's not the breeding that is so bad, it's the "No's" that can result in big problems.