I turned 30 in July of this year. It was a milestone birthday of sorts. It was a sad farewell to my 20's, a depressing reminder that I do not have children nor feel ready for them yet, that I do not own my own horse/house yet and that at 30, I can no longer tell people that I am "twenty something" years old. I haven't been telling people my true age since I was 18 - LOL.
The past year had been a somewhat difficult one. My dad had been very sick, hospitalized and even near death at some points over the year. He suffers from Diverticulitis, and had (by the time of my birthday) been in the emergency room countless times, gone through 2 emergency surgeries and without going into too many details, suffered a great deal, as many do with an underlying and painful illness. Over my birthday, he was recovering from his 2nd surgery, so he had gone out prior to his surgery, and gotten me a $100.00 gift certificate to go riding at the local Recreational Riding Stables. In some senses I thought it was an interesting choice on his part. I can ride anytime I want for free, but I was very touched by his thoughtfulness, and planned on going this Fall for a nice, relaxing trail ride.
I originally thought it would be fun to take my dad along for the ride, but he declined, so I took my mom instead. She is a great rider, and my best friend, so it was a great 2nd choice. Mom and I both kind of thought the ride would be slow, steady and kind of boring. It was a guided trail ride, and most of us know how those can be. I rode an adorable chestnut 4-year old QH gelding named Rain, and my mom rode a nondescript bay mare of unknown breeding named Layah.
The ride started off as I figured it would. Though we mentioned we knew how to ride, I'm sure the guide assumed that we were like many others who say the same thing, only to prove themselves wrong as they hold the reins in the wrong hand, grab onto the horn/pommel of the saddle, point their toes downwards in the stirrups and yammer on and on about how they once rode a black stallion at their grandma's stable in Ohio....uh huh, sure you did.
Anyway, as we approached any inclines, the guide would turn and tell us "as we go up the hill, lean forward - heels down, toes up!" any declines were " sit back, heels down, toes up!" As redundant as that was to me, I had to appreciate her guidance. I've never been on a rent-a-ride where the guide has ever explained to the riders how to properly sit/ride their horse. It was refreshing to see/hear actually. Anyway, eventually I let it slip casually that I actually really do ride, show and in some cases train horses on a regular basis. She listened patiently and within 5 minutes, she turned and said "since you two can ride, I'm going to take you on the trails I never get to go on." Pretty soon, we were galloping up steep inclines, trotting through narrow trail passes and having an unexpected adventurous and very exciting ride, not only that but we stayed out for 2-hours. There was also an Endurance Competition going on, so we got to see many Arabians and some Morgans trotting by with their smiling and friendly riders too. I really got a feel for how challenging yet fun Endurance could be. Maybe someday I'll do that too.
At the barn on Sunday, I rode a horse I've yet to ride. This particular horse has been at the farm for about 2 years now, but he was left in tact due to his owners opinion that he was worth more that way. Never mind that the horse is 14.2 and has nothing incredibly striking in his appearance. To make a long story short, the horse was relinquished to Barn Owner due to non-payment of board. He is now NOT in tact, and though he is still quite vocal and somewhat of an idiot while bellowing and blowing, he is also very sweet and gentle (when not in sight of mares that is). The horse hadn't been ridden in a good year and a half, his former owner never once came out to the barn, the horse's behavior was okay as a Stallion but he was and still is vocal and somewhat of an idiot when able to see Mares. Anyway, I had been lunging him since his surgery several weeks ago, and he really acts like just a sweet little teddy bear, except for the mare thing. He still has a ways to go before all that testoterone exits I think. Anyway, the horse (whose name is Sid) has an amazing head set. He just kind of hinges right over at the poll and knows his ques splendidly. He jogs and lopes like he's been doing it non-stop his entire life. I think that in a few weeks time, he'll be on the market and will make a jr. exhib or small amateur rider an excellent little show GELDING. He had a few little incidents, but nothing major. When I first got up on him, horses were still out in the pastures and were visible to Sid. He was mostly good, but on occasion would forget and bellow out to the pastured horses. It's like he looses all other train of thought and nothing NOTHING you do can stop him once he starts bellowing. Well, while on his back, I snapped the reins to get his attention back, and he popped up into a low rear (yikes). After that he bellowed a few more times, but once the horses were brought in, he simmered right down and acted like a 20 year old gelding....interesting. To stop the rearing, by the way, I bopped him in the poll, right between the ears. I am not super aggressive though, so it didn't seem to faze him much. Rearing scares the crap out of me, I alway envision the horses falling back onto me, so it's so important to stop that little habit before it becomes dangerous.
I have little to no experience with older Stallions being gelded. I didn't realize that they could still behave like little stud muffins for so long. I just have to remember to be on my guard with him and to treat him like a Stallion for a good while longer I guess.
I will have pictures of him soon, he's a cutie patootie!
2 comments:
My horse came from a woman who took tourists out on dude strings. She referred to them as "rent riders." Glad you had a good time on the ride. I think it is very sweet of your Dad to get you that even though you might not have needed it, you can tell he put some thought in it.
Thank you photogchic - it was very sweet of him. Those trail string horses are pretty hardy, I wouldn't mind getting a hold of Rain and having him for my very own trail horse. Did you have any problems with your horse after you bought him? It seems like some of them develop issues with having so many different riders for so long.
Post a Comment