
I am a member of a certain Morgan Association. Anyway, every year when I fill out my renewal slip, I check the boxes that YES, I would be happy to volunteer at any event. These events include, but are not limited to: Horse shows (secretary, gate, ribbons), Expos, Clinics and Fund Raisers. Over the past 3 years, I have been asked just 3 times to volunteer. That doesn't bother me though, perhaps they don't need volunteers; who knows? What does bother me though, is that of the 3 times I've been asked (and have accepted), I was only used once. The first time, I manned (or Womanned) the gates at a class A horse show. That experience was good in that I was able to meet and talk with some of the board members on the association. I expressed my interest in getting more involved with the association and that though I didn't own a horse at the time, I still wanted to become an active member (I think it's important to support the breed in any way).
The 2nd time I was asked again to work the gates at a horse show. I agreed and waited to hear from someone regarding when they needed me and where. I waited, waited, e-mailed, waited and never heard a thing. The horse show came and went - heck, I even showed at it, but I never did hear anything. Hmmm...
The 3rd time, I was called and asked if I might be interested in standing at the Morgan booth at a Stallion Expo for a few hours. (right by my house, I might add). I agreed, and a day and time was set for me to be there. The woman I spoke with said that a few days prior to the event, someone would call me and tell me where to go in order to get my access pass. I waited, waited, waited, worried, fretted - nobody called. The event came and went, no calls, no nothing. SIGH!
Perhaps I dropped the ball on that one, but ultimately, I feel that if they needed/wanted volunteers, it was their responsibility to keep people updated and informed, especially if someone has already committed to helping out. I am a relatively new member to this association, so I really don't know what's going on here, I do know that I have a slightly bad taste in my mouth. I absolutely love Morgan horses, I don't know how it is with other breeds, but so far, I haven't had the best experience with the association. I wonder if other breed associations are like this...am I expecting too much? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it was just a simple mistake on either my or their part, but the next time they call - I'm saying something.
2 comments:
No, you are not expecting too much. Once you tell them that you will volunteer, it is their job to keep you informed. Heck, I don't belong to the Arabian Horse Assocition, but I volunteer every year at their Region 9 show and THEY contact ME. It all goes really smooth. I get e-mails about once a week, a calender of my days and times and locations of the gates I will be working. Sorry you are having a bad time with this and I hope it gets worked out.
Sorry to hear that. I wonder if they "overbook" volunteers, because volunteers tend to drop out at the last minute? Then, I imagine they are left with no-one. Still seems like if they overbook, they should let you know if you aren't needed, rather than just never contact you!
At least you are making an effort, I think that is great. I used to volunteer for the Human Society and various events and really enjoyed it!
Post a Comment