In college, I joined the equestrian team. I began taking Hunter/jumper lessons with the college team coach. Giving my past equitation experience with Morgans, I thought that I would be an asset to the team. I pretty much assumed that the coach/trainer would praise my experience, or in the very least ignore me in favor of coaching the less experienced riders.
Boy, did I have another thing coming. "Where the heck did you learn to ride?!" he bellowed at me across the indoor riding ring.
Apparently, in hunter/jumper equitation, riders do not grip with the knees. They instead turn their ankles slightly so that the toes point a bit outwards. This allows the rider to have so much more contact with the horse. The heels are easier to point down in this position as well. After several lessons, I finally figured it out - I much prefer the hunter jumper method to the Morgan. The problem came when I returned home to ride Morgans again. The first time I hopped back up on a Morgan, I naturally went ride in to the grip with the calves method I had been riding. Oh boy, that Morgan, not used to contact zoomed around at a break neck speed. Try as I might to slow the horse down and collect, he was just too confused to simmer down.
Now that I'm back showing with Morgans, I can't help but notice riders with their toes pointed straight forward in the equitation ring. They look nice and all, but is that correct? It seems like so much more work. I also recently read an article about equitation, it was another blog I think. The writer described correct equitation with contact in the knees. I AM SO CONFUSED!!!



2 comments:
Why would it be this way for Morgans? Is it that way for Arabs or QH's? Just curious.
I took huntseat/jumper lessons over 12 years ago, and I have no recall of how I was taught, LOL! For saddleseat, I know I roll my knees and calves in, and use my thighs. The calves have to stay off the horse, she literally told me to try to turn my shins in. But heels are down and toes are....well, I don't remember. I'll let you know tomorrow after my 5th lesson! :)
I grew up H/J but dabbled in dressage then spent 4 years on the QH circuit. The best I can offer is to not ride from any one part of the leg, but to let the leg imitate a wet towel-draping the entire leg over the horse with even contact all the way down. That said, I tend to ride more with the back of my calves than any other part of my leg as is evident by taking a look at the wear patterns of my 1/2 chaps and boots.
Post a Comment