Monday, March 22, 2010

Body Clipping Blues



Every Spring at the barn, we body clip a few horses. By we, I mean I. J suffers from arthritis and can't maneuver enough to get the horses' legs, belly and all the nooks and crannies. There is nobody else that knows how to body clip, or even clip at all period at that barn.

The problem arises in that the only animal I am allergic to is the HORSE! Every time I'm around horses, the back of my neck breaks out in hives and occasionally I get congested and sniffly. Body clipping multiplies these symptoms to new levels. I have learned over the years to dress for the occasion. I use face masks, wear an old turtle neck, have a hooded jacket that is impermeable to horse hair (thick is key), and I take a lot of breaks to wash my hands and brush myself off. I also bring several changes of clothes, including a bra (just in case you wondered). I have tried using hair dressing smocks, but they just get in the way for me. Rain jackets work well, but I can't cinch the hoods tight enough to prevent hair from getting in. This is what I resemble.


Add a face mask

Yesterday I clipped a Yak. Not really, but this particular horse resembled one - he's approx. 28 and had Cushings which causes him to grow a THICK wavy coat every winter. Poor Ceaser (that's his name) gets very uncomfortable this time of year, so we (note: I) shave off that parka of his to give him some relief. To clip Ceaser, I did double time. I had to clip him going in the direction of hair growth first, then I went against. The clippers just couldn't manage that forest of fur.

This isn't Ceaser, but it's an older horse that very much resembles Ceaser in the coat department.

Today, my lower back aches and I feel the beginnings of a cold, but know it's only a little bit o' Ceaser in my system. I'm beginning to wonder if I should charge for my clipping services? I have clipped MANY horses at J's, and have never charged money. I do it for the horses, but it's starting to take a toll on my body. Hmmm...it's strange how riding, cleaning stalls and lifting buckets don't bother me, but I feel the effects of body clipping for days...what's up with that?



TA-DA!!!

3 comments:

photogchic said...

Ha ha...I was just at the NW Horse Expo and they did that same pattern on a horse! Riding on that...I would have to have a Mai Tai.

Pony Girl said...

Ha ha!
Sorry to hear you are allergic to horses! Wow. My sister just body clipped her mare yesterday, took her 5 hours. Looks great though.
No thanks for me! I actually like brushing all that fur off my horse, LOL! It's therapeutic for me.

JJ said...

Photogchic -

I love that last horse with the scenery clipped into its coat. How funny! I've never seen anything like it in real life, other then a heart shape here and there or checkers :).

PG -

It is a bummer to be allergic, but I deal with it :). It does take a long time to body clip a horse. Sometimes I do the legs one day and the body the next. The clippers get pretty heavy after a while. I also like removing the hair the au natural way - you're right, it is very theraputic!