Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Hello

Well hello there! :)

I just feel like writing today, but for no particular reason.

I've been riding quite a bit this summer, and it's been so nice getting back to my trail riding roots. A part of me (a big part, I admit) does miss ring riding and the like, but for now, I'm happy with what I've got. I'm blessed to have it, too!

My mom and her horse Lady are doing so well together! Lady has turned out to be a beautiful trail horse, she is steady on her feet, honest and just a pleasure to ride! She is a real keeper, that mare.  She is a bit of a floozy, though. She and her pasture mate, Stormy have been having a sordid love affair (of the gelding/mare variety). One of them isn't fully equipped, but that doesn't stop them from...ahem...trying. Heh heh heh...tmi, you say? Sorry.

On a side note. My mom has come across a harness and cart. Kind of like this one:


It's fancy, yes it is.

Anyway. What in bejeezus is (are) she (we) going to do with a cart like that? Oh my word. Well, she's going to (with help) train herself AND her horse to drive.

I'm divided on this. On one hand, neither my mom nor I have any experience driving, let alone training a horse to drive. I don't even know how to harness a horse. The horse is NOT broke to drive. She's calm and pretty unflappable, sure, but she's still a big honkin', behooved horse.

I don't want to be fugly fodder either, I admit.

ON ANOTHER NOTE: I do think, that with an experienced trainer's help, this would be totally awesome! TERRY,  what do you think? ;) I also have visions of my distant future self showing a Morgan in Carriage classes...even though it's my mom's carriage, she'll share!

So, there's that too.

Let's see, what else?

Here's something cute!























Josie is just over 1 years old now. My future cowpoke!

...ain't she cute?


7 comments:

Terry said...

Josie is an absolute doll! Glad you are starting her on the right path in life!

I say go for the driving, but do it in little baby steps - lunging, long lining, ground driving, etc. beroe you ever put to The mare sounds perfect. Starting with the right horse is more important than anything else. You will love driving!

Mala said...

Hi JJ, after taking a year and a half (!) off from blogging, I'm back with a new blog. I just purchased a Friesian filly!!!
Did you know my 2 Morgans are Lady and Storm? Funny.
Best of luck driving. My Storm drives wonderfully. I'm still learning. He's so patient.

Strawberry Lane said...

Josie is just adorable!! She has a head start on being a cowgirl! Good luck with the driving adventure. That is a slow process.

Check out: http://noblebeasts.blogspot.com
It is a wonderful blog on driving a Morgan horse. Lots of helpful info.

Anonymous said...

No doubt Josie is a lovely girl. That would be a good start of a future lovely cowgirl. What a display of good horsemanship:)

Anonymous said...

Just dropping by to greet you Merry Christmas. Hope to hear from you.
And a Happy New Year to you!

Julie said...

Thank you for the reference to the sidesaddle photo - I actually did a post on this young lady quite a while ago. Maybe I should repost a few of my old biography's of riders.

Rising Rainbow said...

Very cute. For the Arabs those carts are for the sport horse division. they do obstacles and dressage and all kinds of cools stuff. I was thinking Trouble would be most cool being driven since he is too small for me to ride. I think driving is easier to teach than riding. I saw it done once but CNJ has posted a lot about teaching her pony stallion to drive. Have lots of ideas from her. Have you proceeded with this?