Sunday, April 17, 2011

An Evening at the Barn is like...

 Heaven!

After work on Friday, I headed out to J's to do evening chores for her. She had taken a few horses to a small Open show and wasn't around. I have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed my time alone at the barn. It's rare anymore that I get that. Much of my barn time now is spent listening to J, which is great, but sometimes it's nice to get lost in my own thoughts as I busy myself with remedial barn work.

After bringing in the mares and geldings, I tossed out studly butt Casper so he could blow some steam. I wasn't sure whether I wanted to continue clipping some winter worn horses as I'd been doing on each visit the past 2 weeks or if I wanted to lunge/ride someone. Lazily, I decided against both and pulled out my camera to play photographer.

I've been wanting to get more pictures of these horses, so I decided that I'd go stall to stall and snap a picture or two of each horse and then post them on my blog with a quick introduction. I stuffed my pockets with some left over candy canes wrapped in their crinkly horse attention grabbing paper and began making rounds.  Unfortunately,  it QUICKLY became apparent that perhaps these pictures should wait until I've clipped and groomed them all. I'm posting only one of the several pictures I took, just so you can see that this is no way to make an introduction.

Meet Fancy, the boss mare!

*sorry, Fancy. *                                                               
                                                            

 




 After my wayward attempts at pik cha' taking, I decided that maybe good ole' Casper would be a better model. I made my way outside, pocket FULL of 'canes and did what I could. He's unkempt too, but still handsome as he wandered around the back pasture, sniffing piles of poo to his heart's content!






















After Casper, I went back into the barn to finish chores. Before I was able to though, I heard a muffled nicker coming from Gypsy's stall. She had heard the candy cane wrappers crinkling, and she knew I had a pocket full. I opened up her door, and Gypsy slowly emerged in search of her favorite treat.


























"Are those 'canes you have?"


























"Ya' care to share?"

















 "Pretty please?"



























After Gypsy had her 'cane, she quietly backed into her stall and continued with her hay. She is so funny!
So, that's that. Nothing too exciting, but at least I got a few pictures worth showing...I guess. Once those winter coats are shed out and the haircuts have been had, I'll post some pictures of the horses looking their best!

I hope everyone had a great weekend! Aside from my Friday barn time, I spent my weekend at TWO showers. One bridal and one baby! 'Tis the season!!!

5 comments:

Merideth in Wyoming said...

Casper is nice. Is he a Morgan? He sure looks like one. Enjoyed the post.

Terry said...

Thanks for the introduction to the herd. That Gypsy's a character! Pretty darn cute.

JJ said...

Merideth -

Casper is a Morgan, he's a Cremello, though he actually looks Grey (white) in one of the photos.

Terry -

I wish I could have introduced more...there are around 25 horses in all at J's. I just couldn't introduce the horses looking like wild banshees, once they're groomed, I'll post more :).

in2paints said...

Cute pictures! Love the lips of horses desperately trying to reach treats! :)

Rising Rainbow said...

AFter you mentioned abandoning the clipping task and moved into picture taking, I wondered about the grooming. I know I haven't taken my camera out yet because of all the winter scruffiness. LOL