Thursday, February 17, 2011

Parking Out!?!?

This may be absolutely inaccurate, but I'm going to attempt to share my knowledge of Parking a horse out. I am absolutely NO expert in this, in fact, I don't really even know how to train a horse to park out. I think it would be easy enough to do, I've just never found my self in the position to do it. Actually, here. Here's a link describing the process!

What is parking out? Well. It is a particular stance a horse is taught to perform. In essence the proper park is with the forelegs perpendicular to the ground, and the hind legs stretched back a degree behind the horse. The best way is to teach the horse to lean forward and just stretch is hind legs out. All feet should be square with each other and the head, neck and ears should be high and perky (at least in the show ring). Here are a few examples:





















In the beginning, horses were parked out for a variety of reasons. Breeds like the Tennessee Walking Horse and the American Saddle bred were developed in the Southern United States, as pleasure horses. They needed to be fancy yet tractable to carry around plantation owners, generals and the general elite of society. A horse was taught to Park out primarily for ease of mounting. When it's parked out, the body is lowered by a degree which eases the amount of space between ground and stirrup. While standing parked out, it is more difficult for the horse to step out from under the rider as he or she is attempting to mount. Carriage horses were taught to park out for a similar reason...they were, in a sense, parked (like a car).

 In general, saddle breeds such as the American Saddle bred, Tennessee Walking Horse and of course, the Morgan are trained at a  young age to stand parked out.



















To be completely honest, I think that breeds such as the aforementioned, are taught to park in modern times, more for aesthetic reasons as well as for functionality. This stance highlights the features on a particular type or horse. It highlights the top line, legs, hip, neck and shoulder of the horse being judged in the show ring, and again, it eases the whole mounting process. Though it may create a skewed picture to some, it is just how things are done and I don't have knowledge to elaborate. I do not know this as a fact, but I believe this is why. If you are reading and know more or feel that I'm wrong, please, enlighten me! :)

I've personally never been on a Morgan that hasn't been taught to Park out. Whether the horse be western pleasure, hunter under saddle, a trail horse or a horse ridden primarily in saddle seat, they were all taught to park out. As I mentioned above, most are taught at a very young age. In fact, I know with J, it is one of the first things her youngsters learn!

My former horses, both Shaker and Turkey parked out with or without cue when standing in the center of any ring, show or at home. Though parking out in the show ring is reserved for in hand and/or English Pleasure type horses, Shaker did it under saddle while lined up in our western pleasure classes. He never forgot his younger days as a fiery English pleasure horse, I guess. See below (exhibit A).
















If I wanted to cue a horse to park out under saddle, I would simply tap the shoulder with my toe or whip...at least that's how I was taught. Of course, the horse has to be trained to do this...you can't just tap your horse and expect it to park out ~  but you already knew that. I'd also like to mention that if I'm turning a particularly excited horse out to pasture, I first park them out before removing their halter/lead. That way, they have to right themselves before blasting off....it's a bit of preventative maintenance and very useful, if I do say so myself!

So, there you have. My own personal explanation of parking out. I thought it would be interesting for people who aren't as familiar with the Saddle type breeds! Hope this wasn't too boring OR ignorant sounding. I'm just repeating what I was taught and have observed over the years.

So, my question is what about Arabians? I don't think Arabians park out per se, but they do have a particular stance they are taught. Stock type horses are taught to stand completely square. Any particular reason behind this? I'd love to know!

9 comments:

Ms Martyr said...

I found this very interesting. It sure would come in handy if I could park out my Belgian cross (can you imagine what that would look like? - lol) when I go to mount her. Then she wouldn't be able to swing her butt away from the mounting block.

Lexa said...

This was super interesting! I'd always wondered why those breeds do that. It makes a lot of sense!

Terry said...

I want that baby!

Mala said...

All my Morgans park out. It has come in handy many times as just a "stop and park it" application.

in2paints said...

When I was a youngster, my friends and I used to see if we could "park" our stock horses. I remember having so much fun trying to get them to stretch out.

I never knew why the practice was started originally, but your post was very informative!

Janice said...

Interesting post.My Morgans have never been taught to take the Park stance they do it on their own.( In varying degrees) I believe it is just something this breed does.I don't know a lot about the other breeds you were talking about but I also believe those breeds do that stance on their own. I think people decided to take it to another level for well whatever reasons...people reasons. This is just my opinion I have nothing to back it up with except my own experiences with Morgans.Also if you have the opportunity to observe all the breeds you talked about at an age before humans start really messing with them too much or older horses that have never been in a show ring you might be surprised at how many of theses horses have that pose as part of their make- up. ....really noticeable when they are in their own element and showing off for each other. Ooops sorry to prattle on and on.Again this is just my humble opinion. great pics by the way. I love the content of your blog.

Rising Rainbow said...

I still look at it and wonder how it must feel to the horse to stand with the hind legs out like than, not really supporting the back with a rider up top.

Rising Rainbow said...

Sorry, I clicked through before I answered the question about Arabians. They are taught to stand with the front legs square and one hind perpendicular to the ground. That is usually the right hind.

That's supposed to level out the topline, show the depth of the hip while still showing correctness of leg etc. They also like them to hold their heads high and exten the head forward to show the fineness of the throatlatch and length of neck.

Horses Are Our Lives said...

LOL, yes, I agree with Ms M...drafts should be taught to park out. I don't own one, but they sure are tall! great info from RR on Arabs.

JJ, thank you again for the "Stylish Award" on my blog! I enjoy reading your blogs! I finally got a blog posted about it and passed on the award to 15 bloggers that I enjoy! Brenda