Merry Christmas a few days late!! I hope everyone enjoyed their holidays, I know that I did.
I even got a horse related present, which is not common for me. I had asked Brian for a pair of winter riding boots for Christmas and I was rewarded with a pair of Mountain horse Rimfrost Riders II. Sadly, my beloved Miller's Warm Toes winter boots died last winter, so I have been desperate for a new pair.

On Sunday, I excitedly pulled on and zipped up my new boots. They felt stiff and pushed me a bit forward as I gingerly walked around my house. I persisted and wore them to the barn that afternoon with only a few reserves. It did occur to me that the boots were not designed for barn work but are meant for riding only...I'm sure they'd be excellent riding boots!
Alas, my scabbed up heels are proof of the boot's true design. I tromped around the barn for hours, turning out horses, bringing some in. Haying, watering, graining and sweeping. I trudged out to the pastures with bales of hay to spread for the next morning...my oh my how I suffered! I began limping within the first hour at the barn and by the end, I was gimping and shuffling so dramatically that I felt handicapped. Finally, I gave up and unzipped the boots down all the way past the heel. They stayed up with help from the Velcro strap at the top...let me just say that the relief I felt was dance worthy. I felt light as a feather as I finished up the evening's barn chores. I will wear the boots again, I don't give up easily and I intend to break those suckers in, scabby heels or not!
I use my winter boots as all purpose barn foot wear. I need something tall because it makes wading through snow covered pastures that much easier and I must say, I love how tall boots keep my calves warm, dry and toasty too....at least my Millers did. I also need a boot that is stirrup safe, so it must have a small enough size to fit comfortably through any stirrup and a heel...also some nice flexibility. If these Mountain Horse boots won't work for what I need, then I'll just buy a pair of Muckers and use the MH for riding only - ugh!
While at the barn that evening, a freezing cold wind whipped about, whistling through the small cracks in the barn. The heavy sliding barn doors clattered continuously against the frosty wind and the ensuing racket had the horses feeling jittery and flighty. Bringing in the mares that evening was a breeze - they all anxiously awaited the warmth of their hay filled stalls.
Turning out Casper was another story though. The poor Stallion hadn't been out in a week (not since the last time I was there), and he was more than happy to stretch his legs. He maintained his composure as I led him down the long barn aisle way. Once outside, I turned him around and set him up (Parked him out). "Whoaaa!" I demanded, as I carefully slid the chain over his nose. Just as I had the lead clasp unhooked from his halter, Casper took off. He waited until he was loose, but just barely. I will make sure to practise his patience on our next adventure, but the poor horse did his best in that blustery winter wind; especially since he was AMPED to go outside.
After about an hour, Casper was ready to come in. Here he is, NOT posing for his picture - he's a handsome boy :)
I took this picture and the resulting flash from my camera had him off in a series of comical bucks. He came back though, he wanted in!



5 comments:
Nothing better than horse goodies for Christmas!
I hope you're able to get those boots working for you... they look snuggly and warm! I have a pair of Mountain Horse paddock boots and they're fabulous.
Merry Christmas!
Breaking in boots always sucks. I have a pair of Mountain Horse winter paddock boots like in2paints and they're wonderfully warm. I just hope that your feet don't get too ripped up in the process!
I hate breaking in new boots, but it has to get done somehow! Hopefully you can break them in quickly!
I know all about turning frisky horses out! They know exactly what is going on and they are so ready to take off the minute they get into the arena. I make them wait until I can safely take the leadrope off. Sometimes they go to take off before I get the lead off, and that does not make me happy.
Sounds like you had a really good Christmas! Have a happy New Year!
Ohhhhh, I covet those boots. Good for you for toughing it out and breaking them in. It's never fun but always worth it:) Glad you had a great holiday!
Those look like awesome warm boots. That's pretty cool.
Hope you're having a Happy New Year!
Post a Comment