Friday, August 21, 2009

Stuff

I haven't blogged in a bit, but that's only because of all the fun I've been having! Last weekend, my mom, dad and I drove to Washington D.C. for my oldest and dearest friend, Laura's wedding.

On the way, my mom wanted to stop at the Flight 93 Memorial in Pennsylvania. Much to my dad's chagrin, we drove about 20 miles out of our way, through the beautiful Pennsylvania countryside, to the spot where this ill fated flight touched ground. I was pretty indifferent to going to this site, but once we arrived, there was a sense of sadness, heroism and reality. I think everyone remembers what they were doing on September 11th several years ago. Being there really made it real for me. We spent some time quietly looking at the many memorials, thousands of trinkets and mementos people had left and then way off in the distance, the one American Flag that marks the spot of impact. The place that the plane landed is peaceful, serene and beautiful, which brought a sense of peace to the site. Although it felt somewhat morbid, it was worth seeing, if only to pay our respects to the poor yet very brave and heroic souls who lost their lives that day.

The wedding was great, Laura was beautiful and the reception was a B to the last! Everyone partook in the festivities - both liquid and physical (as in dancing), and at 3:30 in the morning, my parents and I stumbled up to our room and hit the hay. We woke up at 7:00 the next morning to a FULL day of site seeing. Even though we'd all been to DC before, we couldn't help but fit the description of full blow tourists. My dad in his denim shorts and USA visor, my mom with her camera and I, well, just being with them singled me out. We had a great time though, we moseyed to several monuments, ate lunch and hit 2 very crowded Smithsonian museums.
I have pictures that I'll post later.

In other news, I missed riding Gypsy last week, but the week prior I rode her in a Hunt Saddle. She took it in stride, and behaved like the superstar she is. The only issue with the hunt saddle is that it's difficult to get her to pick up her pace. This is a Morgan we're talking about here, so I don't know what gives. Sometimes I feel like I'm riding an elderly Shetland pony!

This weekend I will ride her western again and work on her cantering. She needs to slow down, balance out and relax, so I think I'm going to just canter using the whole arena and then gradually decrease the circles as she relaxes into her canter. I would really like to take her to a Fun Show that's coming up in September, but unfortunately it doesn't offer adult walk trot classes, and Gypsy is NOT ready for Canter. Not only is her canter very fast, but she doesn't like to go into the corners on her left lead, so I have this vision of Gypsy and I at an out of control pace, zipping around the ring taking out other horses, the judge, photographer and ring steward in one pass - YIKES!
BIG P.S. here, I also notice that there are a bunch of tacky Google ads on this blog all of a sudden. The other day I was fiddling around with the settings and trying to ad little extras here and there when I noticed an ad that asked if I wanted to make money from my blog. Well, being the blogging idiot that I am, I clicked on it, filled out the information and well, here I am. How in the world to I take those ads off? First off, there's no way I'm going to make Moolah on this blog - It's not interesting enough, and 2nd, the ads are hideous.

No comments: