I'm still here, I'm still here!!!!!
I hope everyone had a marvelous Labor Day!
I spent my summer *horsewise* trail riding. It was like coming back to my roots as it's how I began riding. I'm loving the trails and the freedom of not worrying about collection, equitation, perfection in the gaits and whatnot, BUT I know I'd grow bored without something more. I think I will always have a desire to compete with horses on some level, however small it be.
So...there is talk of a small show next summer on the Fox Trotters. I'm also in cahoots with J about showing some Morgans, well, she's in cahoots, I'm still pretty sure I want nothing to do with showing HER horses as we all know how that generally ends (it almost put me off horse showing all together). I'd love to show MY OWN Morgan, though ;).
I'm still learning a lot about what an actual Fox Trot is. I've some experience showing Tennessee Walking Horses, however a Fox Trot is different than a running walk, so still a learning curve. I also don't know what attire the Fox Trotter exhibitors wear. Is it western? Saddle Seat? A mish mash? I can't seem to find much information on the breed in the show ring. It seems they're a breed built for pleasure/trail; which is just fine!
I'm loving that my only practice for the possibility of a show ring is a long stretch of dirt road. Isn't that perfect? It sure beats the tiresome circles I've become so accustomed to. Riding has become fun again!!!!
Just before our trail ride yesterday afternoon. I'm not sure what this mare's registered name is, but her owner assures me her sire was notable. I can't remember his name either; I'll have to get it! She was purchased in Missouri at their national show and came with the nickname Fanny, 'tis all I know!
At any rate, she's a fun ride. Lazy lazy lazy then all of a sudden, weeee - off she goes as fast as can be. Yesterday, she reared, spun around and whipped up a very steep hill at the mere graze of my heel across her flank; she is like a Jeep! ;) ;)


2 comments:
So nice to hear from you, and so glad you've found the joy again!
That's great that you are having so much fun hitting the trails!! I just love trail riding! To me there is nothing better then being on the back of a horse out in the wilderness! Love it!
Although I do miss the show world. The show world when I showed, not the working show world!
That would be great if you got to show a Fox Trotter, but have no idea how they are shown! I have ridden a Fox Trotter one time a few years ago and it was fun, but I am pretty limited on what I know about the breed!
Post a Comment