Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Summer's Bounty

What a hot summer we're having in Michigan. I won't complain though because we also had a horrendously long and cold winter here in Michigan too. The weather changes so frequently around here that tomorrow we could have temperatures in the 50s! MICHIGAN, gotta' love it (which I mostly do)!

I have had quite the boring summer thus far. No horse shows, no riding to speak of, no vacations. Just a lot of house repairs/maintenance (I mostly sit around and watch all of that), and trying to float in my parent's blessed pool as much as possible. I can get away with that on account of the impending wee one. Ya' know? One of the few attributes, I suppose. I do miss having a nice cold beer on occasion, but it's all worth it!

Although I haven't been riding, I have tried to make it out to the barn on a weekly basis.

Two weeks ago, I was scared witless by what I imagine must have been the largest moth on the planet.  I was just minding my own business, unwinding the barn hose in order to water some of the indoor horses when I spotted it.

Mothra!

There it lay, 2 inches from my colorful western boot clad feet *if you had seen my ensemble that day, you would have LAUGHED - picture denim shorts, bright orange faux ostrich skin upper and brown lower western boots and a tank top encased baby belly, hilarious* but, that's beside the point.

Anyway, Mothra was dying which is sad, but he was also alive enough to slowly wave his GINORMOUS wings back and forth every time the hose touched him.I was alone at the barn, and in order to properly water the horses without disturbing Mothra, I had to remove him from the premises. After a few moments of heavy breathing, I found it within myself to attempt a transport. I found a long stick and made towards the creature.

Inch by inch, I crept towards it. My resolve was weakening and I knew I had to move fast. I stuck the stick out to the Moth's gigantic fuzzy body and that's when I noticed it. It had thick, fuzzy antennae (feelers) and they were moving rapidly, as if to grasp me in their clutches. "Waaaaahhhhhh!" I screamed as I stomped back, away from my impending doom.

In my heart and soul, I know that Mothra is a beautiful creature of God, however, things that have soft bodies and flutter in faces without warning scare the crap out of me. Mothra was NO exception! Finally, someone showed up to remove the moth and all was well, or so I thought.

The next week, I showed up at the barn, ready and eager to get started on chores. I set my water bottle and cell phone down on the first feed bin located at the front of J's long barn as per usual, when I had this sudden strange sensation that someone, or something was watching me. Just to describe this scene a bit more, J has 2 shelves placed above her homemade feed bin that start at eye level and go up. There, on the eye level shelf; 2 inches from my face was a set of blank, black, beady eyes. The dead, blank eyes of Mothra himself! "AAAAAaaaaaaggghhhh!" I shreaked. The horses startled in their stalls at my sudden outburst, but I paid them no mind.

Some sadistic psychopath must have discovered the corpse of Mothra where he lay in his grassy grave and decided that a better spot, in the barn, on the shelf was a better location. Though Mothra was but a fraction of the mammoth he used to be, he was still an imposing and frightening sight! The rest of that afternoon I steered quite clear of that area, and still, 3 weeks later, I get the jitters just thinking about it....ughhh *shudder, shudder, shudder*

This is exactly what Mothra looked like, he/she was a Polyphemus Moth, quite harmless and beautiful in all reality. Until it's staring you down, that is.















I can also assure you that this is a stock photo pulled from GOOGLE and not my hand. 
***********

Sorry about that, I didn't intend to start rambling on and on dramatically about a moth of all things, but really, my life is JUST that exciting these days.

I hope everyone is doing very well this summer!

3 comments:

Lexa said...

AHHHH HOLY COW THAT IS SO GROSS AND SCARY!!!! Why are the hugest bugs ALWAYS in barns?!?!

in2paints said...

I had a similar experience with a praying mantis... had my hand right there on the light switch, and when I flipped on the lights, he was LOOKING RIGHT AT ME and was dangerously close to my hand. Those things give me the creeps... seriously. Moths, not so much, but I feel your pain. :)

Terry said...

So very good to hear from you.

That's one huge moth! I'm one of those oddballs that think he's beautiful!