(Bobby and I at a later show (notice the blue ribbon)- I should have taken him to the show - but noooooo - see next pic).I had a horse show last weekend and I am sooooooo tired today (Monday). Working is almost like torture - I can't waiiiit until 6:00.
The horse show was okay. My situation is a little different in that I don't actually own a horse right now. My trainer, J, basically let's me take any of her horses that I choose. Because I don't have much time to ride, I chose the horse I thought would be the easiest to get ready for show. Contro. Anyway, Contro is a big moving, 16-year old gelding that has always been a Classic horse. I decided because he's a bit older now to take him Huntseat. Let me just say that that horse embarrassed the crap out of me. First of all, he's 16 and well seasoned and I was looking forward to having a really easy time in the ring - no struggling or head setting or the typical shenanigans that I'm accustomed to.
Our first class, he tossed his head a couple of times and wouldn't walk. Hmmmmm...I was starting to get a bad feeling about my decision. Our second class, he didn't toss his head, but he stopped twice and backed up frantically. He also reared when I nailed him with my spurs annnd broke into the canter several times before he was cued. I must say it was my worst class in the history of my show career. Our 3rd class was a bit better then our 2nd so we made some strides. The last day and the last class was our best ride by far, our only issue was maybe a wee oversetting of his head and a choppy walk. We ended up with 5th our of 10 entries - pretty respectable considering our small blunders. Jenny wanted me to go into a Championship, but Contro and I said HELL TO THE NO! As far as I'm concerned Contro can enjoy the rest of his career plodding little kids around in lessons, he's too wise to the show ring ways and I really don't think he enjoys showing like he used to.
The horse show was okay. My situation is a little different in that I don't actually own a horse right now. My trainer, J, basically let's me take any of her horses that I choose. Because I don't have much time to ride, I chose the horse I thought would be the easiest to get ready for show. Contro. Anyway, Contro is a big moving, 16-year old gelding that has always been a Classic horse. I decided because he's a bit older now to take him Huntseat. Let me just say that that horse embarrassed the crap out of me. First of all, he's 16 and well seasoned and I was looking forward to having a really easy time in the ring - no struggling or head setting or the typical shenanigans that I'm accustomed to.
Our first class, he tossed his head a couple of times and wouldn't walk. Hmmmmm...I was starting to get a bad feeling about my decision. Our second class, he didn't toss his head, but he stopped twice and backed up frantically. He also reared when I nailed him with my spurs annnd broke into the canter several times before he was cued. I must say it was my worst class in the history of my show career. Our 3rd class was a bit better then our 2nd so we made some strides. The last day and the last class was our best ride by far, our only issue was maybe a wee oversetting of his head and a choppy walk. We ended up with 5th our of 10 entries - pretty respectable considering our small blunders. Jenny wanted me to go into a Championship, but Contro and I said HELL TO THE NO! As far as I'm concerned Contro can enjoy the rest of his career plodding little kids around in lessons, he's too wise to the show ring ways and I really don't think he enjoys showing like he used to.
Soooo for the next show do I take Bobby western or some other horse? Decisions decisions! What I do know is that I will be hauling my butt out to the barn regularly to practice. Apparantly I'm not the expert rider I thought I was :(.
No comments:
Post a Comment